Well Jake and I have been engaged for 2.5 weeks now and it seriously has been a whirlwind. Between saying ‘yes!!’, celebrating Christmas, New Years and my birthday, the last few weeks have been a super busy time for us both. To top it off last weekend was the massive youth convention at church (with friends staying with us from all over Australia), so it is only really this week that we have been able to catch up with everything again haha. Because our engagement is short (just over 3 months) there is lots (and lots) to get done in a super short period of time (87 days and counting y’all).
Thankfully Jake and I have already talked through a lot of the details related to the big day so we aren’t exactly starting from scratch ?. But last night we sat down and wrote a massive list using the Todoist app to keep track of what needs to be done. It was super helpful for me to do a massive brain dump of all the little details I’d been thinking so I don’t start to be overwhelmed. So today I thought I’d write down a little update here on how things are going so far and will continue to update you over the next 3 months. Keep an eye out for some more wedding Wednesday posts to come in the future ?.
What we’ve done so far:
- The venue for the reception has been booked!! This was actually one of the things we tried to do as soon as we had our date because with a shorter than normal engagement period everything was starting to already be booked out. We’ve decided on a casual style reception which meant a local hall was perfect (and well within budget).
- We have asked our bridal party. I found these super cute cards on Etsy as a special way to ask my bridesmaids. I mean seriously how could you resist that!
- We have finally picked out an engagement party date.
- The dress material has been bought for the bridesmaid and my wedding dresses. I have an extremely talented and giving family with my sister (also Maid of Honour) and Mum making the dresses.
- My sis has already created a trial bridesmaid dress and starting on the real thing!! She took a beautiful wrap dress pattern and did some serious alterations to make it more secure as a pho-wrap dress instead. Crazy talented lady – and you can check out her progress here!
- We have had a meeting with our florist and organised the bridal flowers.
- Purchased the special themed socks and cufflinks for the men (#watchthisspace for further reveal on the theme!!!)
- I’ve started buying some small token gifts for the bridal party that I will continue to add to gradually.
- I’ve got my shoes. And fun fact… they are pink!!
- Last week Jake, his best man and I went suit shopping and have managed to pick the suit colour and style ready for a further fitting 4-5 weeks before the big day. I also found the tie that I really love for them all.
- As of yesterday the two weeks accommodation for our Honeymoon have been booked!!
- We have been talking over concepts for reception design and decoration. I have a million secret pinterest boards!! It’s the best thing ever invented! I might eventually make them public so you guys can see the behind the scenes ideas that are inspiring us (would you like that?).
- We’ve trialed the canapés for reception… they are Ah-maz-zing!!!!
- The reception guest list (that is still somewhat evolving) is becoming more settled, restricted to only 104 guests (including bridal party).
- As something unique for our guestbook we have booked a caricaturist to come and do sketches of everyone at the reception.
- We’ve selected the songs and speakers for the wedding ceremony along with a million other little things like witnesses for the register.
What we are working on:
- With the date now picked for the engagement party we are working on finalising details and have to send out some invitations (kinda a good idea don’t you think!).
- Last week we sat down with my sister and started on the design of the wedding invitation. We have a very strong concept but a few things need to be adjusted and turns out the initial font we picked doesn’t really work because the ‘b’ looks like a ‘h’ ??♀️. We have found the new font we are going to use, but still need to make the changes.
Now this next list is actually really massssssive, but I’ll just give you some of the highlights here because its much more fun to focus on what I have done rather than what lies ahead.
We still need to:
- Book and finalise the menu and caterers
- Book flights for honeymoon
- Organise hair and makeup trials
- Buy wedding band for Jake
- Organise the wedding cars and drivers
- Create our wedding registry
- Create the finer details for design of reception (menus, table decorations etc)
- Create a detailed running sheet
- Organise Bridal shower and Guys day etc
- Finish the dresses
- Decide on Bridesmaids shoes
There is still lots to be done, but as I keep telling people, planning and organising is one of my favourite things to do! I am enjoying this process and have a big group of people happy to help and support Jake and I throughout it all which is awesome. I am looking forward to sharing with you my progress over the next few weeks.